The National Olympic Academy of Barbados (NOAB) will be convening its 3rd National Session for Young Participants (NSYP) from Saturday, 19 August 2023 to Sunday, 20 August 2023 at the Barbados Football Association Headquarters, Garfield Sobers Sports Complex, Wildey, St. Michael.
The National Session for Young Participants provides an opportunity for participants, between the ages of 20 and 30 years, to engage in dialogue on issues of relevance in sport, in an interactive and dynamic environment. They will hear from experts on a variety of issues and will be able to examine and express their views, and make recommendations for the development of sport.
The NSYP will also prepare prospective candidates for participation in the annual IOA International Session for Young Olympic Ambassadors (YOA).
Participants interested in attending a YOA Session should note that they will be required to deliver a presentation at NSYP 2023, as this is included in the criteria for selection.
- Provide a forum for young persons involved in sport to engage in dialogue on issues of relevance in sport
- Introduce participants to Olympism and its ideals and increase their knowledge of issues in the Olympic Movement
- Develop the leadership capacity of young persons involved in sport
- Identify potential candidates to attend the annual International Session for Young Olympic Ambassadors
Innovating Physical Education and Olympic Values Education to Build a Better Barbados
The Relevance of the Olympic Values for Today’s Youth
- The potential impact of physical education on the well-being of a nation
- Physical education – a platform for values education
- The perception of physical education and sport in Barbados – changing the narrative
- Inclusion of the disabled in physical education sessions within the context of the Olympic values
- The role of technology in physical education and the maintenance of Olympic values
- The emergence of esports – implications and possibilities for physical education and physical activity
Barbados Football Association Headquarters
Dates & Times
Saturday, 19 August 2023: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, 20 August 2023: 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Criteria for Selection for NSYP
- Candidates must be between the ages of 20 and 30 years
- Candidates must be active in sport (athlete, coach, volunteer, etc.)
- Candidates must be passionate about sport with a desire to contribute to the development of sport in their community and the country
- Candidates must assist with the creation of a NSYP group project under the auspices of the National Olympic Academy
- Candidates must be willing to commit to volunteering with the National Olympic Academy on completion of NSYP
Individuals who have previously attended an International Session for Young Olympic Ambassadors (YOA)/Young Participants, or a National Session for Young Participants are not eligible to apply.
Selection Process for NSYP
- Selection will be on a first come, first served basis*
- 20 candidates will be selected to participate in the NSYP
*Gender balance and distribution across National Federations will be considered
Selection Process for YOA Session
- Applicants interested in being selected to participate in a YOA Session will be required to attend an interview
- A maximum of 6 participants will be shortlisted
- Each will be required to deliver a presentation at NSYP 2023 on a topic related to the theme of the Session
- A maximum of 2 participants (1 male and/or 1 female) will be selected and recommended to attend a subsequent YOA Session
Interested applicants are required to submit the following:
- Motivational letter (1 page) or short video (max. 3 minutes)*
- describing their involvement in sport (e.g., no. of years, nature of involvement, sport in which currently involved, nature of current involvement, vision for future involvement in sport, vision for future of sport, any other relevant information)
- explaining their interest in attending NSYP 2023
- applicants who are interested in attending a YOA Session must also explain their interest in attending that Session
- Curriculum vitae
- Passport size photograph
- Copy of ID card
- Letter from the applicant’s National Federation verifying their involvement in the sport
and supporting their participation in NSYP 2023
*Applicants must make it clear in the letter/video if they are applying for NSYP only OR both NSYP and YOA